Lansdowne’s Sanitation Program
By Wardell Holt II
In providing services to Borough residents, the Borough strives to act in a responsible manner, both to our residents and to borough employees. Lansdowne Borough’s own staff provides all municipal sanitation services including:
- seasonal curbside leaf collection
- monthly yard waste pick up
- monthly bulk trash pick-up (by appointment)
- weekly behind-the-house-trash pick-up
- weekly curbside single-stream recycling
- street sweeping
- 40 containers located in parks and commercial corridors
The Borough strives to sustain all provided services and operate in a safe and efficient manner while keeping expenses as low as possible. However, borough costs are increasing. We need to change how we work to avoid a fee increase to residents. These are the factors to be considered in planning for the future of our sanitation services:
- A significant increase in the tipping fee (priced by the ton) the county charges the borough
- Optimizing collection strategies
- Mitigating the increasing of other costs
Sanitation modernization for Lansdowne is a must! Quick and decisive action will avoid burdening the residents of our borough with an increase in fees.
We must act! The Borough wants further input from residents on ways to improve the system.
To learn more and participate in this conversation time please attend the Mayor’s Forum on Thursday May 17th. The subjects will include Infrastructure and Municipal Services as well as Parks, Recreation and the Environment.